SUN.STAR Davao Management filed a complaint with the City Internal Affairs Service of the Philippine National Police against a policeman who threatened to disrupt the proceedings in the 5th Sun.Star Superbalita 9-Ball Challenge 1st National Open last Sunday at the NCCC Mall.
Ildefonso Halasan, later identified as a senior police officer 3 and a member of the Davao City Public Safety Company based in Camp Domingo Leonor, insisted on being in the restricted area of the billiard tournament around 6:30 p.m. while the finals for the national open was ongoing.
When asked to leave by Sun.Star Davao general manager Tessie A. Pana, Halasan threatened her, saying, “Akong tawagan si Boy Cherry karon, akong ipa-dismantle ang mga lamesa (I will call Boy Cherry right now and order him to dismantle these billiard tables).”
Halasan sat by the railings inside the playing area to watch the championship match between Danjo Ordaneza of Digos City and Gandy Valle of Davao City.
Under the rules and regulations of the tournament, it is stipulated that only the players, referees, organizers, staff, and media personnel are allowed inside.
When security officers approached Halasan to tell him that he is not allowed to be where he was, he arrogantly asked to talk to the organizer.
Thus, Pana faced him.
Halasan told Pana that he will only leave if the people on the stage will also be told to leave. To which Pana replied, “Nganong papahawaon man nako sila nga ako man na silang staff. Naa na silay trabaho (Why should I tell them to leave when they are my staff and they have work to do there).”
He even added, “Mopahawa lang ko kung pulis ang mopapahawa sa ako.”
Sun.Star Davao called Davao City Police Office Director Ronald dela Rosa for assistance. Dela Rosa, in turn, sent a team from the Talomo Police precinct.
Apparently sensing that the police have been called for assistance, Halasan left the playing area and disappeared before the team of policemen arrived.
A similar complaint was filed with the Talomo Police by SuperBalita managing editor Alger Dura to record the incident.
“Regardless of what position he holds, he is not allowed to enter the area since he has no business in the tournament. I instructed the security to disallow non-members of the organizing committee or spectators to go beyond the perimeter exclusive for players but this person insisted,” Pana said.
“I told him that we already paid Boy Cherry for the use of the billiard tables so he has no right to let Boy Cherry take away the tables,” she added.
On Monday, Pana was accompanied by Dura to the City Internal Affair Service (CIAS) of the Philippine National Police (PNP) as she is bent on pursuing a formal complaint against Halasan.
Pana said it was not the first time that Halasan disrupted the tournament as the latter led a signature campaign urging players to boycott the 4th Sun Star Superbalita 9-Ball Challenge last year at NCCC’s B3 Billiard Hall.
Last November 19, 2011, also at the NCCC Mall, Halasan led a group of players who threatened to walk out after learning that tournament rules only allow the top eight players to be included in the quarter finals.
Halasan was insisting that the top 16 should be included in the quarter finals instead.
Sun.Star stood by its rules reminding him that there are rules that have to be followed if they want to join the tournament. At that time, Halasan was waving a paper, which he claimed carried the signatures of protesting players.
Nothing happened to Halasan’s protestations since the rules were clearly stated.
A check with the DCPSC showed it was Halasan’s day-off on Monday, and thus he was not around.
A complaint was filed Monday with the CIAS headed by Senior Superintendent Lorenzo Hernato.